March 2, 2017
Upstream Solutions Inc. is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Cost Controller located in St. John's.
DIRECTION EXERCISED AND AUTHORITY:
- Under the authority of the Project Controls Lead — HVDC Specialties, the Cost Controller will provide a supporting role to assist in the fulfilment of the LCP Project's and its Subprojects' (Components) cost management activities.
- In fulfilling this mandate, the Cost Controller is expected to liaise closely with the execution teams and functional Managers to implement cost management processes and fulfilment of requirements.
- The Cost Controller will have no direct reports.
DIRECTION RECEIVED AND REPORTING RELATIONSHIP:
- Reporting directly to the Project Controls Lead — HVDC Specialties, the Cost Controller is expected to interact extensively with the Project Controls Teams (site and home office), Project and Area Managers, Construction and Area Construction Managers, Package Engineers, Contract Administrators and Contractors.
- The Cost Controller will be expected to work in a team environment as well as independently.
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY OF SCOPE:
- As a member of the Project Controls Team, the Cost Controller is a support resource to the Project Controls Lead - HVDC Specialties in providing cost management services to ensure Project cost management targets and objectives are fulfilled.
- The Cost Controller will support the Project Controls Lead — HVDC Specialties (or designate) in the execution of established processes and systems to ensure that accurate cost control information is managed in a timely manner.
- The Cost Controller will perform cost management functions related to HVDC Specialties of the LCP Project in various roles and capacities as directed.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following is being executed as a contract scope of work.
- The duties and job functions of the Cost Controller shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform and support cost control functions for HVDC Specialties, including assistance with reporting to monitor costs incurred, forecasting and change management
- Monitor and control of both unawarded and awarded packages to ensure budgets and forecasts are being stewarded and adjusted when required (raise trends, alert management of deviations, interfacing with scope leaders and other components)
- Track costs against budget, commitment and forecasts
- Ensure accurate forecasting for each package on a monthly basis
- Prepare monthly cost forecasts and package re-forecasting using cost reports, schedule data, identified trends, invoices, progress bi llings to make an informed and educated forecast
- Ensure Contractor cost reports (incurred costs and cost forecasts) are reviewed and provide appropriate feedback and guidance to contractors on their submissions.
- Ensure budgets are adequate and forecasts are inclusive of all outstanding and future costs associated with each package
- Enter contract commitments into the cost control system (PM+), entering each line, coding, tax and holdback while ensuring accuracy and budget allocation
- Daily Update of trends (potential and pending) and Scope Changes in PM+through DAN/PCN reports and site change requests to capture the cost information, coding and forecast adjustments
- Review and approve requisitions to ensure requisition's scope is validated against approved budget, to provide appropriate coding, and general accuracy
- Play an active role in change management to ensure cost information is being reflected accordingly and updated in accordance with the change management processes (DAN/PCN)
- Enter DAN's / PCNs for potential deviations and project changes that affect scope packages
- Prepare/review of estimate of the cost impacts for all DANs/PCNs.
- Approve all DANs / PCNs for HVDC Specialties packages from cost control, confirming budget, contingency requests, coding and implementation plan
- Steward monthly meeting with Area Managers to update them on the latest cost reports and review the latest forecast and potential deviations to ensure they are informed and able to make timely decisions
- Assist with the integration of cost control, accounting, and procurement including PM+accuracy and data reconciliation with other departments
University degree in business administration or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
- Five (5) years experience in cost management on large engineering /construction projects with a focus on heavy civil and industrial projects. Site experience an asset. Additional years in other disciplines on large construction projects considered an asset.
- Knowledge of Cost Management best practices (AACEI, PMI, etc.).
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a diverse work team.
- Experience in the use and application of cost management systems. Experience in PM+ or Prism is an asset.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of MS Excel.
- Commercially astute individual with a strong background in cost analysis.
- Experience in claims management and productivity analysis is an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English).
- Experience working with (or for) large national and international construction contractors considered an asset.
- Experience with multiple contracting models and compensation terms including EPC, unit rate, lump sum and reimbursable.
JOB REQUIREMENTS, WORKING CONDITIONS, ETC.:
- Safety oriented.
- Be an active member in a highly dynamic team environment that has tight deadlines, high pressure and visibility, requiring accuracy, initiative and ability to multi-task
- Possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and communicate with team members.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to plan work well, and to be well-organized.
- Demonstrate a willingness to adhere to Nalcor's vision and values.
- Solution oriented.
- Must be able to work in a collaborative and supportive manner with stakeholders.
Qualified candidates can apply for this role by either clicking on the Apply Now button below or forwarding their resume to email@example.com, quoting the job title in the subject field.