March 13, 2017
Upstream Solutions Inc. is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Deputy Laboratory Supervisor located at Muskrat Falls.
DIRECTION EXERCISED AND AUTHORITY:
- Working with the Laboratory Services Manager and contractors at Muskrat Falls, the incumbent to assist the Laboratory Services Manager with coordinating and monitoring all field and laboratory inspection, sampling and testing of concrete, materials and soils used at Muskrat Falls. This position will have laboratory technicians as direct reports when Laboratory Services Manager is on rotation.
DIRECTION RECEIVED AND REPORTING RELATIONSHIP:
- Reporting to the Laboratory Services Manager, direction and guidance will be provided, however the incumbent should be capable of functioning with a limited level of supervision. This position will interface with engineering and construction groups.
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY OF SCOPE:
- Working within the Muskrat Falls Laboratory Team, the Deputy laboratory Supervisor will:
- Interface between Contractors) and Site Laboratory with respect to coordination of all laboratory testing, inspection and subsequent test results;
- Participate in QA/QC oversight, monitoring, surveillance and inspection programs and activities for concrete, material and soils testing and inspection activities at Muskrat Falls;
- Ensure Site Laboratory Services QA/QC programs are implemented and effective.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as Laboratory Services Manager when Laboratory Services Manager is on rotation;
- Assist the Laboratory Services Manager with coordination between Contractors) and Site Laboratory Services, inspection and testing of concrete, compaction testing, aggregates, materials and soils produced at Muskrat Falls;
- Assist the Laboratory Services Manager in providing training and assigning laboratory and field tasks to laboratory technicians;
- Assist the Laboratory Services Manager in ensuring the compliance of the Site laboratory with OH&S requirements;
- Ensure QHSE plans, standards, procedures, processes and checklists for inspecting and testing of concrete, materials and soils at Muskrat Falls;
- Assist with ensuring material compliance with technical specifications, drawings and any special supplier installation procedures as defined in contractors and inspection and test plans;
- Perform monitoring, surveillance and inspection of concrete, aggregate, material and soils used to support all Muskrat Falls site work (powerhouse, spillway, dams, etc.);
- Interface with the engineering and construction teams to ensure compliance of all materials testing to all technical specifications and drawings for selected scopes;
- Maintain test records in Company's database;
- Attend construction meetings as required;
- Monitor QC/QA performance of laboratory technicians to verify that all stakeholders' needs are addressed;
- Ensure Contractor's concrete mix designs) are approved prior to use;
- Ensure concrete batch plant inspection and testing is coordinated between contractor and laboratory;
- Ensure Laboratory accreditation is maintained; and
- Approve time sheets for laboratory technicians.
- Technical Diploma in Civil Engineering or a related discipline, supplemented by experience in construction QA/QC oversight, monitoring, surveillance and inspection activities for large civil projects, with focus on concrete, material and soils testing and compliance.
- Registration with the Association of Engineering Technicians and Technologists of Newfoundland and Labrador (AETTNL), or equivalent, is desirable.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
- Minimum 7 years of materials laboratory testing including field experience in performing testing on concrete, aggregate, soils, etc. on large construction projects.
- Knowledge of the construction materials standards and approved testing methodologies established by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA), Canadian Council of Independent Laboratories (CCIL) and other standards organizations.
- Considerable experience in concrete testing including roller compacted concrete (RCC), materials and soils testing and inspection including experience in a coordination capacity.
- Knowledge of the operation of a Materials testing Laboratory, providing quality control of materials used on large civil projects;
- Knowledgeable of Portland cement concrete and its components (aggregates and cement),
- Experience with civil works, including site investigation, backfilling, compaction, piling, road construction, concrete pouring, construction of cofferdams, rock filled dams and sediment ponds, rock bolting, rock dowels, welded wire mesh, shotcrete, etc.;
- Good knowledge of civil engineering principles, standards and regulations relating to hydroelectric projects, specifically intake, powerhouse, spillway and transition dams;
- Demonstrated commitment to Quality Assurance issues; and
- Internal Quality Auditing Certification would be an asset.
JOB REQUIREMENTS, WORKING CONDITIONS, ETC.:
- Incumbent must be willing to work at Muskrat Falls construction site on a rotational basis and work night shift when required;
- It is anticipated that while working in construction environments the incumbent may be exposed to environments that are dirty, noisy, and potentially hazardous;
- Ability to coordinate testing requirements between contractors) and the Laboratory;
- Candidate must have strong technical and communication skills to effectively interact with Contractor and owner teams;
- Must be a team player but maintain the ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated commitment to Quality Assurance issues;
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Word and Excel is required; and
- Maintaining effective working relationships.
Residents of Newfoundland and Labrador will be given first consideration for this role.
Qualified candidates can apply for this role by either clicking on the Apply Now button below or forwarding their resume to email@example.com, quoting the job title in the subject field.