March 9, 2017
Upstream Solutions Inc. is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Health & Safety Advisor located in Muskrat Falls.
DIRECTION EXERCISED AND AUTHORITY:
- Reporting to the Muskrat Falls Generation Health, Safety, Security and Emergency Response Lead, this position will provide project level health and safety expertise and support across all Muskrat Falls related scopes. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting field operations (North Spur and Muskrat Falls) pertaining to the implementation and maintenance of the Health and Safety Management System and regulatory compliance at the site level within the broader framework of Nalcor Energy's guiding policies and principles.
- The Health and Safety Advisor is expected to incorporate industry best practices and strive for world-class performance in Health and Safety execution and full support of all construction site related initiatives. The Health and Safety Advisor will monitor operations and activities at all construction sites to ensure that all such activities are fully compliant within established policies, procedures and plans.
DIRECTION RECEIVED AND REPORTING RELATIONSHIP:
Reports directly to the Muskrat Falls Generation Health, Safety, Security and Emergency Response Lead.
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY OF SCOPE:
- Working within the LCP parameters, this position is required to review and monitor the application, implementation and maintenance of a project-specific H&S management system within the existing Integrated Management System framework at all active Muskrat Falls Generation construction sites. This position will ensure a strategic alignment is in place at the field level with respect to LCP Project Management system's policies, goals and guiding principles.
- The Health and Safety Advisor shall assist field management and personnel with fostering a culture in support of a "Zero Incident Mindset", whereby all accidents are considered to be preventable, by working with LCP site personnel and its contractors to strive for Zero harm to personnel, material and non-material assets. The Health and Safety Advisor will reinforce and foster at the site, a belief that sound H&S performance and best practice are fundamental to meeting the project's overall objectives and success criteria.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following is being executed as a contract scope of work.
- Routinely monitor the implementation and maintenance of the NE-LCP H&S management system with respect to field level compliance at all working and planned construction sites with local statutory and corporate requirements through support within the H&S organization, processes, procedures and tools.
- Provide support and guidance to field personnel to achieve total regulatory compliance in all facets of construction.
- Periodically monitor the functionality and overall quality of the site Emergency Response function is at al l site levels, including the periodic observation and monitoring of site drills to evaluate NE-LCP Emergency Management Capabilit and document actions in an actual response. Mitigating actions, where identified, must be assigned to key individuals and tracked to completion.
- Monitor H&S performance at all Muskrat Falls construction sites to ensure consistency and continuity. Identify gaps and identify effective solutions for mitigating these. These solutions must be communicated to and coordinated with construction site workforce, including contractors.
- Assist the Project Health and Safety Lead with execution of the NE-LCP H&S training program at the site level, as well as the Torbay Road office when required to do so.
- Periodically review Site Medical Services (clinic, vehicles, personnel, equipment and supplies) for overall capability, completeness, compliance and functionality.
- Participate in site Risk Assessments, as warranted and ensure that all mitigation measures are fully implemented.
- Assist in the compliance assessment and completion of Federal and Provincial OHS orders, issuances and variance applications, as warranted/required.
- Provide input into contractor's construction safety execution plans, health and safety management systems, emergency response plans and safe work practices.
- Periodically review H&S performance metrics, as well as trending analyses, including all leading and lagging indicators to ascertain key focus areas for achievement of safety performance excellence.
- Review Health and Safety reporting from the site for completeness and to maintain a current awareness of site activities and issues.
- Assist the NE-LCP Health and Safety Lead with the development and/or delivery of in-house Health and Safety Presentations as and when warranted/required.
- Assist with the conduct of a formal incident investigation /root cause analysis, as required. Review incident investigation reports for accuracy and completeness.
- Ensure any and al l Lessons Learned are captured and reflected in ongoing work as appropriate to deliver upon the continuous improvement mindset.
- Conduct periodic audits of LCP and Contractor work activities at the various construction sites to ensure overall compliance with the NE-LCP H&S management system (policies, standards, safe work practices and safe work procedures) and issue formal audit reports. Communicate any significant issues pertaining to Health and Safety to the MFG Health and Safety Lead.
- University graduation with a Bachelor degree in a Science or Engineering related discipline, supplemented by additional training in Health and Safety Management, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certified Auditor training in ISO 9001 or ISO 14001 or ISO 18001 are desirable.
- CRSP, CSP or equivalent designation is an asset.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
- Minimum of 7 to 10 years experience developing, implementing Health and Safety programs for significant construction projects.
- Significant experience with contractors, in particular those involved in the construction of mega projects.
- Candidate should have loss prevention experience and working knowledge in areas such as: process safety management, safety management system development and implementation, incident/injury prevention, safety in plant designs, hazard identification, qualitative and quantitative risk analysis, consequence modeling, safe operating procedures and standards, behavioral safety programs, and incident investigation.
- Experience working with contractors to ensure their Health and Safety Systems Application meets or exceeds client's minimum requirements.
- Proficient in conducting H&S Management System Auditing.
- Detailed knowledge of Health and Safety Regulatory Requirements and Construction Industry Best Practices.
- Competent in conducting and/or supporting risk assessments on site.
JOB REQUIREMENTS, WORKING CONDITIONS, ETC.:
- Demonstrated willingness to adhere to the Nalcor's vision and core values.
- Demonstrated safety leadership.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with a variety of personnel, and other industry participants, both internal and external.
- Ability to arrive at multiple conventional and creative solutions to address unsafe conditions, procedures and/or practices
- Demonstrated commitment to the support of Health and Safety Initiatives and issues.
- Strong organizational, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of relevant Legislation and Regulations e.g. OH&S Act, Canada Labour Code, Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Act, as well as the application of each to the Office and worksite.
- Strong technical competence in Construction Safety Best Practices and Procedures.
- Experienced working in and around heavy construction field conditions.
- Ability to conduct effective H&Straining in an office or construction site setting.
- Strong written/verbal communication and analytical skills.
- Willing to rotate between Muskrat Falls and North Spur construction sites
Residents of Newfoundland and Labrador will be given first consideration for this role.
Qualified candidates can apply for this role by either clicking on the Apply Now button below or forwarding their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job title in the subject field.