March 2, 2017
Upstream Solutions Inc. is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of HVdc Specialties - Strait of Belle Isle (SOBI) located in St. John's.
DIRECTION EXERCISED AND AUTHORITY:
- Under the authority of the Area Manager, SOBI, the incumbent will interface directly with members of the HVdc Specialties Project Delivery Team to facilitate delivery of the assigned work scope. The incumbent is generally self-directing in achieving objectives. May provide some technical direction to others, however the position is not expected to have any direct reports.
DIRECTION RECEIVED AND REPORTING RELATIONSHIP:
- The incumbent is expected to exercise a high level of personal initiative, sound judgement, and technical expertise in carrying out the duties and responsibilities. Will report directly and be accountable to the Area Manager, SOBI.
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY OF SCOPE:
- Provide project electrical engineering support and expertise in the role of Owner's engineer related to the electrical design, construction and commissioning of the Grounding stations. The incumbent will perform the duties of an Electrical Project Engineer working closely with the Contractor and other team members in amulti-discipline project delivery environment.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following is being executed as a contract scope of work.
- Major areas of involvement are in the design, construction and commissioning of Grounding Stations. The duties and job functions of the Electrical Engineer shall include, but are not limited to the following:
- Complete detailed technical reviews of Contractor submittals and technical data to verify conformity with the Scope of Work, project design criteria, Nalcor standards, codes, practices, operating philosophy, good utility practise and constructability
- Lead /participate in design review and constructability review workshops
- Work with Contractors) to ensure the installed facilities
- meet all design, safety, quality, schedule, construction and regulatory requirements
- meet Project Goals for Safety, Operability, Reliability and Environmental Performance
- Participate in shop surveillance and factory acceptance tests
- Explore, analyse, and introduce new design concepts, solutions, and innovative methods for achieving the Project's strategic objectives, relying on basic theory, first principles, and original ideas.
- Facilitate problem resolution and assume responsibility for closure.
- Ensure opportunities for improvements to all aspects of performance (safety, environment, cost, schedule, quality, operations, reliability) are actively pursued and championed
- Organize and lead meetings, related to project delivery aspects, working to resolve issues that could impact overall performance objectives
- Maintain functional relationships and work closely with Completions, and Commissioning
- Lead in owner's acceptance during commissioning and turnover stages
- Visit Sites) as often as is necessary to monitor compliance with the specifications, prepare independent site visit reports and inform functional groups of deviations (Quality, Completions, LCP construction management)
- Liaise with RFO in the development of a transition plan for turnover to Operations
- Provide technical leadership in the resolution of post commissioning start
Bachelor of Electrical Engineering Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
- 3+years successful experience, in technical as well as construction roles.
- Background in electrical engineering and design including experience in switchyards
- Strong background with resolution of technical issues during projects planning and execution phases.
- Familiar with /experience in electrical studies (grounding, arc flash etc.)
- Familiarity with codes and standards applicable with the discipline such as IEEE, IEC, ASTM, ANSI, CSA, etc.
- Able to operate under pressure and to the pace of construction
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with a variety of personnel, within LCP and
- ith the Contractor's design and construction forces.
- Solution oriented and demonstrated creative thinking.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Sound judgment and decision making skills.
- Be able to weigh pros and cons of technical solutions (value engineering) and put forward and identify non-conformances
- Self-starter, able to prioritize tasks, put plans in place, and follow through with delivery
- Must be able to work effectively as a key member of the Project Delivery Team within amulti-functional team environment.
JOB REQUIREMENTS, WORKING CONDITIONS, ETC.:
- Safety oriented.
- Demonstrated willingness to adhere to the Nalcor's vision and core values.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and communicate with other team members.
- Worksite will be Lower Churchill Project Office, St. John's, NL (primary) and construction Sites, primarily Dowdens Point (Newfoundland) and L'anse au Diable (Labrador)
- This position requires a proven ability to accept responsibility and make decisions in a highly technical environment
- Must be able to work in a collaborative/supportive manner with stakeholders.
- Demonstrate willingness to adhere to Nalcor Energy's vision and values
- Occasional travel out of Province and out of country for shop surveillance and factory acceptance tests
- The incumbent will work primarily in an office environment; however, travel to vendor sites and project Sites) will be required. These latter work environments will be industrial in nature and exposure to noise, dust and other industrial emissions may occur (knowledge of the use and the wearing of personal safety gear is a must). May be required to work at heights and entire confined spaces with appropriate training.
Qualified candidates can apply for this role by either clicking on the Apply Now button below or forwarding their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job title in the subject field.