St. John's Office / Muskrat Falls Site
March 16, 2017
Upstream Solutions is currently seeking qualified candidates for the role of Project Controls Lead based primarily at the Torbay Road Office with frequent visits to the Muskrat Falls Site.
DIRECTION EXERCISED AND AUTHORITY:
- Under the authority of the MFG Project Manager, the Project Controls Lead -MFG will provide a guiding role to assist in the
- development and implementation of processes, procedures and methods of work to fulfil the functional applications of
- project controls to support all engineering, procurement and construction activities, including the supervision of the
- Muskrat Falls Generation Project Controls team members both in the Torbay Road Office and at the MF Site.
- In fulfilling this mandate, the Project Controls Lead —MFG is expected to work closely with the Muskrat Falls Generation
- Area Managers and Functional Leads to implement, monitor and control the applications of project controls and fulfilment
- of requirements during the execution of the Muskrat Falls Generation scope of work.
- This position will have a number of direct reports to cover project controls functional applications including cost control,
- planning, change management, risk management and progress measurement.
DIRECTION RECEIVED AND REPORTING RELATIONSHIP:
- Reporting to the MFG Project Manager, the Project Controls Lead —MFG is expected to interact extensively with the MFG
- Project Delivery Team, Construction and Area Managers, Contract Administration, Package Engineers, Site Manager and
- The Project Controls Lead —MFG will be expected to work in a team environment as well as independently with
- direction from the MFG Project Manager
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY OF SCOPE:
- Lead the development and implementation of effective Project Controls organization, processes and systems for the
- MFG Team. The functional applications of the Project Controls discipline covers project cost estimating, planning,
- scheduling, cost/schedule risk analysis, cost/schedule control, progress measurement, change management,
- productivity, project performance reporting and benchmarking. Project Controls is accountable for accurate and timely
- forecasts of project costs and completion dates. The purpose is to provide enough early warning of negative outcomes
- to allow mitigation-corrective actions to be taken by MFG Management Team during the execution phase of the work.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties and job functions of the Project Controls Lead —MFG shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide guidance for appropriate implementation of the project controls functions including all planning/scheduling, cost estimating, cost budgeting, cost control, change management and progress and performance management.
- Integrate and consolidate project controls inputs from construction contractors, suppliers and the MFG Team so as to ensure that timely and accurate cost, schedule, progress, trend and forecast data is available.
- Perform reviews on control output data and information (cost, schedule, progress, changes, trends and forecasts) received from engineering, construction contractors, suppliers and MF teams to validate accuracy. Where gaps exist, make appropriate gap closure recommendation and implement such recommendations.
- Prepare capital budget cost/cash flow; provide accurate forecast and stewardship reporting.
- Review Contractor monthly reports and provide appropriate feedback to ensure Contractors are meeting the reporting requirements of the Contracts.
- Ensure functional applications of project controls are practiced effectively by all organizations involved in the MFG scope of work.
- Provide advice regarding contracting, sub-contracting and execution strategies as well as maintaining procedures for the execution of the scope of work.
- Provide guidance to the project controls personnel in relation to the functional applications of project controls during the execution phase.
- Communicate key project control strategies, policies and requirements criteria to MFG project controls personnel (home office and site location) for implementation of processes and procedures.
- Lead, supervise and monitor performance of the project control personnel assigned to the MFG team.
- Identify opportunities for improvement in relation to the functional applications of project controls to support the execution of the work.
- University degree in engineering or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- A membership of the PMI and/or AACEI is advantageous
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
- A minimum 15 years of experience in the project controls function of large EPC projects including construction sites,
- including at least one (1) mega-project. Exposure to project management from both an owner and contractor prospective, and knowledge of project controls approaches used by best-in-class companies.
- Well-rounded project controls management skills.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Able to do hands-on project controls work.
- Working knowledge of project controls software and interrelationships.
- Commercially astute individual with a strong background in cost analysis.
- Experience in claims management and productivity analysis is an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English).
- Experience working with (or for) large national and international construction contractors.
- Experience with multiple contracting models and compensation terms including unit rate, lump sum and reimbursable.
- Adaptability to perform in demanding work environments.
- Develop programs and objectives to meet general objectives outlined by the Component.
JOB REQUIREMENTS, WORKING CONDITIONS, ETC.:
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to safety, health and environmental issues.
- Be an active member in a highly dynamic team environment that has tight deadlines, high pressure and visibility, requiring accuracy, initiative and ability to multi-task.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and communicate with team members.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to plan work well, and to be well-organized.
- Demonstrate a willingness to adhere to Nalcor's vision and values.
- Solution oriented.
- Must be able to work in a collaborative and supportive manner with stakeholders. _
- Must be willing to travel to the MF work site.
Qualified candidates can apply for this role by either clicking on the Apply Now button below or forwarding their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job title in the subject field.