April 3, 2017
Upstream Solutions Inc. are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Senior RCC Construction Engineer located at Muskrat Falls.
DIRECTION EXERCISED AND AUTHORITY:
This position will provide RCC construction expertise, advice and guidance within a multi-functional Project Delivery Team that has been established to deliver the Muskrat Falls Generation facilities, including construction of a ~ 230,000 m3 RCC dam.
DIRECTION RECEIVED AND REPORTING RELATIONSHIP:
The Sr. RCC Construction Engineer will report to the Area Construction Manager - Dams. The Sr. RCC Construction Engineer may be delegated the responsibilities and authority level of the Area Construction Manager (ACM) during periods when the ACM is absent from his/her position.
The Sr. RCC Construction Engineer may have direct reports.
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY OF SCOPE:
The Sr. RCC Construction Engineer is responsible to “steer” the overall construction monitoring effort in relation to the activities associated with the RCC Dam at the Muskrat Falls Site. This includes:
- Assessing upcoming work areas for issues potentially impacting construction;
- Overseeing ongoing construction activities for general compliance;
- Capturing field issues and effecting resolution via established mechanisms;
- Documenting observations;
- Facilitating the work by working collaboratively with the appropriate contractors;
- Providing general Quality oversight;
- Providing general Safety oversight.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(Note: the following is being executed as a contract scope of work):
The duties and job functions of the Sr. RCC Construction Engineer shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assures that all work undertaken by contractors is done in a safe manner in accordance with approved drawings, specifications and regulations;
- Works and interfaces extensively with the ACM (Area Construction Manager), Contracts Administrator, Disputes Advisor, QA Advisors, Survey Lead, H&S advisors, and Environmental Monitors in order to collectively ensure that contractors are adhering to Execution Plan(s), including all supporting plans and procedures required to ensure that the work is done to the level of specified quality, safety and environmental standards;
- Assures that Area Construction Manager - Dams and all others, as appropriate, are kept informed of events occurring at the work site(s);
- Investigates upcoming work areas for issues or potential issues that may adversely impact construction and takes those steps appropriate to mitigate these impacts;
- Assures that contractors’ look-ahead plans are appropriate and include consideration of issues that may impact construction. Provides recommendations, as appropriate, to Area Construction Manager - Dams to assure construction activities adequately address field conditions;
- Coordinates with all team groups to assure proper communications and to effect resolution/mitigation of identified issues;
- Assures that engineering related issues are promptly relayed to the Area Construction Manager – Dams for action and follows up with Resident Engineer to assure timeliness of resolution efforts;
- Ensures work areas are inspected/ monitored for compliance with safety, environmental and other related functions.
- In conjunction with Dams Shift Engineer, assists with the coordinating the work of all construction monitors assigned to the area;
- In conjunction with Dams Shift Engineer, assists with the coordinating construction surveillance activities with respect to QA inspection activities, field engineering, survey, materials management, H&S Advisors and Environmental Monitors based upon agreed work prioritization with ACM;
- In conjunction with Dams Shift Engineer & Construction Monitors ensures that required inspections and tests carried out in the field are correctly documented and approved;
- Provides RCC execution-related training and coaches / mentors monitors to ensure they are provided with the level of guidance/direction required to fulfil their duties;
- Supports Area Construction Manager - Dams in the reviews and comments on justifications given by contractors for any extra or claims requested;
- Provides technical support to the Contract Administrator and Disputes Advisor with respect to the review and validation of contractors’ progress declaration and certificates;
- Maintains awareness of resources mobilized by contractors and of the progress of the work;
- Supports the review of contractor Concession Requests;
- Supports management of non-conformances;
- Conducts regular job site coordination meetings with members of the LCP Team as required;
- Attends various coordination meetings with contractors;
- Prepares regular job progress status reports and review contractors’ status reports for the Area Construction Manager - Dams;
- Ensures all ‘As-Built’ documentation requirements are stewarded.
- Provides technical support to other team members as required.
Bachelor of Civil Engineering
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
- 10 years of experience on RCC Dam construction projects with experience in RCC aggregate production, RCC batching, placement and monitoring.
- Experience in performing QA/QC oversight, monitoring, surveillance and inspection activities and associated reporting requirements on large civil construction projects.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings, specifications, codes and standards.
- Previous experience with auditing construction QA programs considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of incident investigation / root cause analysis considered an asset.
- Supervisory experience considered an asset.
JOB REQUIREMENTS, WORKING CONDITIONS, ETC.:
- Safety oriented.
- Demonstrated willingness to adhere to the Nalcor’s vision and core values.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with all stakeholders.
- Must demonstrate accountability and ownership for the assigned work area;
- Solid knowledge of engineering principles, standards and regulations relating to construction, inspection and safety standards;
- Strong technical and communication skills;
- Self-starter who identifies priority tasks and puts plans in place to complete;
- Must be a team player but maintain the ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated understanding of Quality Assurance principles;
- Incumbent must be willing to work at site; possibly on night shift.
Qualified candidates can apply for this role by either clicking on the Apply Now button below or forwarding their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job title in the subject field.