March 7, 2017
Upstream Solutions Inc. is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Telecoms Specialist located in St. John's.
DIRECTION EXERCISED AND AUTHORITY:
- The Telecoms Specialist will facilitate and provide technical direction in the delivery of the permanent Project telecommunications systems.
- The Telecoms Specialist will be expected to work closely with the System Integration and Telecoms team members.
- The Telecoms Specialist is not expected to have any direct reports.
DIRECTION RECEIVED AND REPORTING RELATIONSHIP:
- The Telecoms Specialist will report directly to and be accountable to the Area Manager, System Integration and\Telecoms. The incumbent is expected to exercise a high level of personal initiative, sound judgement, and technical expertise in carrying out the duties and responsibilities.
- The Telecoms Specialist may also be involved in other work scopes within the HVdc Specialties team.
- Supervision will vary depending on the assignment and the degree of expertise of the incumbent.
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY OF SCOPE:
- Working within the Project Delivery Team, the Telecoms Specialist is responsible to work in support of the Area Manager, System Integration and Telecoms to ensure the overall delivery for System Integration and Telecoms.
- The Telecoms Specialist will be responsible for completion of assigned deliverables for System Integration and Telecoms. Responsibilities span from the detailed engineering phase to the final commissioning of the facilities.
- The Telecoms Specialist will provide project engineering throughout the development and execution phases (engineering, procurement, installation and commissioning) for the permanent Project telecommunications system. The incumbent will be a key member of the Project Delivery Team and will interface extensively with the System Integration and Telecoms team members, as well as with other members of the Project Delivery Team.
- It is expected that the Telecoms Specialist will provide support for all Project Sites and will provide support to project components C1, C3, C4 and SOBI.
- While the primary location is the St. John's office, the role will necessitate that some time will be required at the Work Sites) and fabricator shops, increasing as the transition occurs from engineering, through procurement and into construction.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Note: The following is being executed as a contract scope of work.)
- Major areas of involvement are in the design, construction and commissioning of HVdc Specialties installations.
- The duties and job functions of the Telecoms Specialist shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible to the Area Manager for overall delivery of allocated telecom packages) in accordance with the approved budget.
- Work closely with the System Integration and Telecoms team members, Project Services/Planner(s), Engineering Managers, Construction and Completions Managers, Quality Assurance, Ready for Operations group and other functional expertise during the design, procurement and construction phases of the Project.
- Responsible to clearly develop, document and execute:
- Engineering deliverables within allocated package(s), including but not limited to identification, production and scheduling of design briefs, scope of work, technical specifications, drawings, bill of materials, bill of quantity, RFPs, procurement contracts, construction contracts and NL Hydro Network
- Services Work Task Orders;
- Engineering deliverables and milestones to ensure compliance with Project schedule;
- Equipment configuration and testing as required.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that the installed facilities:
- meet all design, safety, quality, schedule, construction and regulatory requirements;
- meet Project goals for safety, operability, reliability and environmental performance.
- Highlight and monitor critical items in co-operation with other team members.
- Work with Regulatory Compliance team to ensure all permits are in place to support work schedule and conditions are adhered to.
- Facilitate problem resolution and assume responsibility for closure.
- Complete detailed technical reviews of Contractor submittals and technical data (including, but not limited to, drawings, specifications, design studies, technical reports, Inspection and Test Plans, test results, etc.) to verify conformity with the Scope of Work, project design criteria, Company standards, codes, practices, operating philosophy, good utility practice and constructability. Primary focus will be telecoms related items.
- Lead /participate in design review and constructability review workshops.
- Be a technical expert reference in discussions with Contractors and Suppliers, and respond to technical queries
- related to design criteria (telecoms related).
- Work with Contractors and Suppliers to ensure clarity in understanding project and technical requirements.
- Work with Contractors) to ensure the installed facilities:
- meet all design, safety, quality, schedule, construction and regulatory requirements;
- meet Project Goals for Safety, Operability, Reliability and Environmental Performance.
- Provide surveillance over the contractors' construction activities to ensure compliance with the technical and quality requirements.
- Implement and participate in monitoring, surveillance and inspection programs and activities for construction activities of contractors and suppliers.
- Provide technical assistance and support to team members as required.
- Assist in the implementation of all applicable Owner construction management oversight, monitoring, surveillance and inspection plans, procedures and checklists for inspecting and reporting of the work activities at the various site locations in Newfoundland and Labrador
Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) or Electrical Electronics Technologist; supplemented with experience in telecoms design, provisioning, construction, QA/QC oversight, monitoring, surveillance and inspection.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant design experience (in the area of telecommunications );
- Ability to read and interpret drawings, specifications, codes and standards;
- Good knowledge of relevant engineering principles, standards and regulations relating to design, construction, and safety standards in Newfoundland &Labrador;
- Experience in construction quality control, including execution of inspection and test plans;
- Strong background with resolution of technical issues during projects planning and execution phases;
- Familiarity with telecommunications-related codes and standards;
- Familiarity with Optical Transport Network (OTN) design and equipment
- Familiarity with Wide Area Network (WAN) and Local Area Network (LAN) design and equipment
- Familiarity with Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) design and equipment including Remote Terminal Units (RTUs)
- Able to operate under pressure and to the pace of a large project work environment;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with a variety of personnel, within Company and with the Contractor's design and construction forces;
- Solution oriented and demonstrated creative thinking;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Sound judgment and decision making skills;
- Ability to be organized and deal with multiple, sometimes competing priorities;
- Ability to weigh depth of analysis versus meeting project deadlines;
- Self-starter, able to prioritize tasks, put plans in place, and follow through with delivery ;
JOB REQUIREMENTS, WORKING CONDITIONS, ETC.:
- Safety orientated;
- This position requires a proven ability to accept responsibility and make decisions in a highly technical environment;
- Must be able to work effectively as a key member of the Project Delivery Team within amulti-functional team environment (matrix style organization structure) but maintain the ability to work independently;
- Must be able to work in acollaborative/supportive manner with stakeholders.
- Willingness to adhere to Nalcor Energy's vision and core values;
- Self-starter who identifies priority tasks and puts plans in place to complete;
- Must be able to work in acollaborative/supportive manner with stakeholders;
- Incumbent must be willing to occasionally travel to various work sites to support Site Teams.
- The incumbent will work primarily in an office environment; however, travel to project Sites) will be required. Site work environments will be industrial in nature and exposure to noise, dust and other industrial emissions may occur (knowledge of the use and the wearing of personal safety gear is a must).
Qualified candidates can apply for this role by either clicking on the Apply Now button below or forwarding their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job title in the subject field.